Saturday, September 6, 2008

Seven Sitka Women React to Sarah Palin

I just met with seven women for dinner and drinks. We share a common employer, but not all of us had even met before this evening. The topic turned to politics and good old Sarah Palin. I deliberately kept my mouth shut (not an easy task for me, and in the case of one comment (noted below) I just couldn't stay silent) so I could gauge their opinions of our celebrity governor. The women's responses were all over the spectrum. Here is a sampling:

"Don't get me started on Sarah Palin! My husband has banned me from talking about her because once I start, I won't be able to stop [talking about how much I can't stand her]."

"Confidence sure isn't something she lacks!"

"Well, Barack Obama is a Muslim. YES, he is. His middle name is Hussein, and he is named after that man."

"Obama is NOT a Muslim." [This was me]

"We don't know that; he might be. I won't vote for him."

"Well, I will. Palin would put women back by a whole generation. I had to fight to be allowed to take wood shop in high school, because I was a girl. She is against abortion even in the case of rape or incest."

The views being voiced around the table showed a cross-section of this Alaska town: several women were strongly pro-choice, while one sincerely believed that Obama is secretly a Muslim. This response was an interesting counterpoint to last night's gathering of teachers (obviously liberal elitists, right Romney?), who universally expressed alarm at McCain's choice of Palin as his running mate. I think it's true that Alaskan opinion of Sarah Palin - whether favorable or not - has been further entrenched by the national media scrutiny of our governor. Those who already liked her like her even more, and those who didn't .... are terrified.

No comments: